How do I Apply for the Montessori Program?
We welcome students from all over the district who are interested in a Maria Montessori education.
The 2021-2022 Pre-K Lottery application deadline is March 12, 2021.
Children must be 4 on or before Sept. 1, 2021. TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE MARIA MONTESSORI PRE-K LOTTERY AT MARSH YOU MUST COMPLETE BOTH OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Complete an application at the RPS 205 Welcome Center (501 7th Street, Rockford, IL 61104, 2nd floor) by Friday, March 12, 2021
- Parent/Guardian must attend one mandatory orientation. All orientations will be hosted via zoom during the times listed below. Please click the Montessori Lottery Zoom Meeting button below to join. Attendance forms will be digitally completed by the person attending at the end of the orientation session.
Mandatory Orientation Dates (must attend ONE)
- Thursday, February 25th, 10:00 a.m. & 3:30 p.m.
- Tuesday , March 2nd, 10:00 a.m. & 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 10th, 10:00 a.m.
- Monday, March 15th, 10:00 a.m.
How Seats are Filled
A computerized, random lottery is run in late March for students who applied and whose parent/guardian attended an orientation. Notification is by US mail after the lottery takes place.
As limited seats become available, they are filled from eligible students on the lottery waitlist. Interest form responses are also considered, after the lottery waitlist is exhausted. Families interested in Maria Montessori at Marsh after open application dates are closed may fill out an interest form (see link below). Interest forms are time stamped, and an interest list is maintained in this order.
Sibling Priority and Prior Experience Priority
Sibling priority is given to pre-kindergarten students living in the same home as students who are already enrolled in the program (pre-kindergarten through 7th grade). If the only sibling attending Montessori is currently in 8th grade and will attend high school in the upcoming school year, sibling preference for the upcoming school year does not apply. Students attending a Montessori School for the year (or longer) immediately prior to the year for which the student is seeking enrollment are given preference in the lottery.
NEW 2019-2020: If the only sibling at Montessori is eligible for another special program through lottery or fall K gifted testing and accepts the seat, sibling preference does not apply.
A lottery waitlist is created and each student is assigned a number. The lottery list is maintained through 1st grade.
Interest Forms can be completed by contacting the school, for students entering grades K-6.
To Submit a non-lottery application if your student is not currently in the RPS 205 District
go to welcome center to Enroll your student
Before you can complete an interest form for Maria Montessori, your student must be an RPS 205 District student. Once your child has been enrolled with RPS 205, they are then eligible to complete an interest form.
After completing the interest form, all non-lottery applications will be time stamped and added to the interest list at the bottom of the lottery waitlist.
Applications will be time stamped and added to the interest list by grade level. Each student will be assigned a number that identifies them. The parent or guardian is contacted if a seat becomes available and is given an application to complete for consideration for placement in the program.
The following items are required:
- A project-based learning sample as evidence of critical thinking
- Participation in an informal interview to showcase the student portfolio,
- Explanation within the student portfolio of examples of service to a community, their school, or their family.
Students are ranked on the interest form list from highest to lowest by points on the rubric, then by timestamp. Siblings of current students have preference when placing students from the interest list. As new interest forms are received, the interest list is re-ranked each month. Non-lottery eligible students include any student grades Pre-Kindergarten through 8th who did not enroll in the lottery or participate in the mandatory informational orientation.